Saturday 16 June 2012

Everything Just Changed In Post

It was pretty mental when FCPX came out.

Considering it's just video editing software it's amazing the amount of anger that it generated. A lot of people were furious. Many editors, myself included, felt betrayed. I'd been using FCP since v1.0 and I'd invested my professional career in the software. If I wasn't going to be able to use the software I use to do my job, then what the fuck was I going to do?

Well, the answer was simple. Use something else.

In some respects is was a wake up call that should have come a long time ago. Like many editors I had become entrenched in my ways and assumed that FCP was the ONLY video editing software out there. I'd even started turning down jobs that used AVID because I didn't like using it. I'm an editor for gods sake. Who cares what the software is. At the end of the day all you need to know is IN, OUT and PUT IT IN THE TIMELINE. The rest of the skill is in your knowledge of story-telling and pacing.

Your legacy projects are fine because you can continue to use FCP, but from now on I would start all new projects using something else. FCPX, AVID, Premiere, whatever you want, but I'd start moving away from FCP as soon as you can because one day it really will be left behind and become completely obsolete.

So it's time to say goodbye to FCP. It's time to start using something else.

I'm going to start using FCPX because despite it's foibles the idea of not rendering and not saving sounds good to me. And I'm pretty sure all the missing functions will be added in later versions.

I do have faith in Apple. They are usually right.

The FCPX moniker is EVERYTHING JUST CHANGED IN POST. It has indeed, well, for FCP users anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment